Charleston AreaCastle Pinckney, Shutes Folly Island: The Americans built a log and earthwork fort called Fort Pinckney (1794, 1798 - 1804) but it was destroyed by a hurricane. Confederates occupied this fort from December 1860 until February 1865 when they evacuated.
Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbor: This fort was still under construction until 1860. Confederates captured the fort in April 1861 and never surrendered. It became the national symbol of Southern defiance against the North. The fort sustained massive Union bombardment from 1863 - 1865.
Charleston Arsenal, Charleston: A Federal arsenal near Ashley Ave. and Mill Street. Captured by CSA in December 1860, it was re-occupied by Union forces in February 1865.
Charleston Batteries: CSA earthwork batteries were located along the Ashley and Cooper River banks: Battery Godberry - Cannon Street and Westcott Court, Battery Waring - Tradd Street and Murray Blvd. Vanderhorst Wharf Battery - Vanderhorst Wharf, Frazier's Wharf Battery - Market and Concord Streets, Laurens Street Battery - Laurens and Concord Streets, Calhoun Street Battery - Calhoun and Concord Streets, Battery Augustus Smith (aka Half-Moon #1) - Amherst and Drake Streets, and Battery James (aka Half-Moon #2) - Cooper and Drake Streets. Charleston Neck Line - CSA earthworks across King and Meeting Streets from Adverse Cemetery to Magnolia Cemetery. Charleston South Battery - two Confederate earthwork batteries known as White Point Battery or Battery Ramsay, and King Street Battery.
Mount Pleasant Batteries: Hobcaw Point Battery - a CSA work off of Third Ave., which is actually on Remley Point. Hog Island Battery - a CSA work located at present-day Patriots Point Golf Course. Haddrell's Point Battery (or Hibben Street Battery)- a CSA work located near the mouth of Shem Creek, below Hibben and Beach Streets. Battery Gary - originally Mount Pleasant Battery, a CSA two-gun work located at the end of Middle Street. Kinloch's Landing Battery - a CSA work northeast of Battery Gary. Venning's Landing Battery (aka Fort 2) - a CSA work northeast of Kinloch's.
Elliott's Creek: Copahee Sound Line - a line of CSA earthworks running east of Boone Hall Plantation running parallel to (northeast of) Six Mile Road. Palmetto Fort - the southern anchor of the Elliott's Creek line, located in the Palmetto Fort area.
Fort Moultrie, Sullivan's Island: Originally called Fort Sullivan in 1776. It was renamed after the failed June 1776 British attack. The second American fort (1794, 1798 - 1804) was destroyed by a hurricane. The current structure dates to 1809 (40 guns). The Confederates occupied the fort from December 1860 until February 1865.
Sullivan's Island Batteries: Battery (Fort) Marshall - a CSA 14-gun work located on the eastern end of the island at Breach Inlet. Batteries One, Two, Three, & Four - CSA two-gun works located east of Battery Beauregard. Battery (Fort) Beauregard - a CSA 12-gun work located just east of Fort Moultrie. Battery Rutledge - a CSA work located between Fort Moultrie and Fort Beauregard. Cove Battery, Battery Bee (11 guns), Battery Marion, and the Floating Battery, an iron-clad floating gun platform were located west of Fort Moultrie. The Floating Battery was moved to Morris Island in 1863. CSA batteries adjacent to Fort Moultrie used in the opening rounds against Fort Sumter in 1861 included Dahlgren Battery, Enfilade Battery, and Mortar Battery, as well as the Floating Battery. Palmetto Battery - undetermined location. Fort Washington - was a lookout tower manned by the local "Washington Light Infantry". Camp Truesdale - somewhere at the east end of the island. Sullivan's Island was occupied by the Union in February 1865.
Middle Ground Shoal: Battery (Fort) Ripley - a CSA two-gun work built on a log cribwork and faced with palmetto logs.
Fort Johnson, James Island: Originally built as a moated and palisaded triangular work with three bastions and a detached water battery on Windmill Point. Rebuilt in 1759, 1794, 1809 and virtually abandoned after 1820. Only ruins remain. Confederate troops occupied the site in December 1860, rebuilding and rearming the fort with 26 guns. Held by the CSA until February 1865.
James Island Batteries: Battery Simkins - a CSA shore battery located southeast of Fort Johnson. Used in the opening rounds against Fort Sumter, it was then abandoned, but rebuilt in 1863. Battery Cheves - a CSA four-gun battery located inland, west of Battery Simkins. West of Fort Johnson along the shore were CSA Battery Harleston (four guns), Battery Wampler on Wampler Road, Battery Tyers, and Battery Glover (three guns) (possibly aka Battery Styles). CSA batteries located along Schooner Creek and Clark Sound protecting the rear flank of Fort Johnson included Battery Haskell, Battery Tatum, Battery Ryan Left, Battery Ryan Right, and Battery Reed (two-guns) on Stone Post Road. Battery Reed was originally named Enfilade Battery. CSA Battery Haig and Battery Palmer were located on a secondary line running north from Clark's Point along Oceanview Road to Dills Bluff Road. This line included five other unnamed batteries. Fort Lamar, a CSA six-gun earthwork at Secessionville. Nicknamed Battery Crossfire by the Union. CSA Bridge Neck Battery was located northeast of Fort Lamar. CSA works that were part of the James Island Line included Battery Pringle, Battery Tynes, and Battery Seroy (or Leroy) and Batteries 1, 2, 3, 4, and Battery 5 in a line from Battery Seroy/Leroy to Fort Lamar. Fort Pemberton was a CSA 20-gun fort on the Stono River at Elliot's Cut to Wappoo Creek. Western James Island Line, a line of four unnamed CSA batteries located along Fleming Road between Maybank Highway (SC 700) and Central Park Road. Battery Means (1863 - 1865), a CSA work located on the south-side of the mouth of Wappoo Creek at the Ashley River.
Black Island Battery: a CSA work that was uncompleted in 1863, and then taken over by Union forces.
Morris Island Batteries: Battery (Fort) Gregg - originally CSA Cumming's Point Battery (actually composed of two mortar batteries, the three-gun Blakely Battery, Trapier Battery, and the three-gun Ironclad Battery), used in the opening rounds against Fort Sumter, then later rebuilt and renamed (five guns). It was captured by the Union in September 1863. Battery (Fort) Wagner - a CSA 14-gun earthen fort near the north end of the island. Originally known as Neck Battery, then renamed. The Union took control of this fort in September 1863. Vincent's Creek Battery - the CSA's Floating Battery that was moved to the mouth of Vincent's Creek, north of the Swamp Angel Battery site, to support Battery Wagner. It was never completed, and was abandoned in place. Fort Morris - a CSA four-gun work located north of the lighthouse and Lazaretto. Also known as the Star of the West Battery, as this was the battery that fired upon the relief ship to Fort Sumter in January 1861. Lighthouse Inlet Batteries - Confederate batteries located on the southern end of the island near the old lighthouse (1767 - 1862), prior to the Union assault, which included ten unnamed positions for 11 total guns. Sometimes referred to as Battery Mitchel.
Battery Island: Fort Pickens - a small CSA five-gun work that was abandoned when Coles Island was also abandoned.
Johns Island Batteries: Fort Trenholm - a CSA 14-gun fort on the west bank of the Stono River. Camp Buist - a CSA camp. Undetermined location.
Fort Palmetto, Coles Island: Once located on Coles Island, but due to erosion it is now in a marshy area and is accessible only by boat. This fort was first built during the War of 1812. The Confederates briefly used it after the fall of Fort Sumter, known as Coles Island Fort, but abandoned it.
West Charleston Batteries: Battery (Fort) Barnes - a CSA work located in the St. Andrews area. Battery (Fort) Gladden - a CSA work located in the St. Andrews area. Ashley River - Wappoo Creek Line, a line of CSA earthworks from present-day Ashleyville to Byrnes Downs, across both St. Andrews Blvd. and Savannah Highway. Battery Geddes - a CSA work in the Geddes Hall area on the Stono River. Battery Haig - a CSA work west of Battery Geddes in the Oakland area. An unnamed CSA battery between Haig and Wilkes. Battery Wilkes - two CSA works located along the old Charleston and Savannah Railroad (CSX) and Turnpike Road (Savannah Highway) at Branch Creek, west of Battery Haig . Battery at Johns Island Ferry - a CSA work on the north-side of the Stono River at Johns Island. An unnamed CSA battery between Wilkes and Magwood. Battery Magwood - a CSA work on a canal south of Battery Gaillard. Battery Gaillard - a CSA work south of Fort Bull on Church Creek (Church Creek area. Battery Banks - a CSA work southwest of Fort Bull, west of Battery Gaillard, on Church Creek at Bees Ferry Road. Fort Bull - a CSA fort south of Bee's Ferry near Old Bees Ferry Road and the CSX railroad. A supporting battery was also located north of the river. An unnamed CSA battery east of Fort Bull across Church Creek at Ashley River Road.
Fort Randall: A CSA battery at Tilgham's Point on Little River Neck. Union forces attempted to take the battery in 1863 but were unsuccessful.
Coastal Defenses North of Charleston Area
Winyah Bay Batteries, near Georgetown: (Fort) Battery White - a ten-gun CSA earthwork located four miles south of Georgetown. Captured by the Union in February 1865. CSA earthwork batteries were also located on South Island and Cat Island (1861 - 1862), near Quarantine, armed only with "Quaker Guns" (blackened logs). A CSA redoubt was also located at the lighthouse on Mayrant's Bluff. Camp Marion, a CSA camp in the area.
Battery Warren, A CSA battery on the Santee River below Echaw Creek.
Coastal Defenses South of Charleston AreaChisolm Island Post, Chisolm Island: A Confederate-held island prior to the Union occupation of Beaufort
Sam's Point Fort, Wilkins: A CSA fort at Sam's Point on Ladys Island. Abandoned in January 1862.
Beaufort Arsenal, Beaufort: A state arsenal located at Craven and Carteret Streets. Rebuilt in 1852 with barracks. Seized by Union troops in November 1861.
Fort Beauregard, Bay Point Island: A CSA 13-gun earthwork located in Port Royal Sound, it was captured by the Union in November 1861, and may have been renamed Fort Seward in 1862.
Hilton Head Island Batteries: Fort Walker - a 23-gun earthwork which was renamed Fort Welles after it was captured in November 1861. Braddock Point Battery - a CSA four-gun earthwork battery was once located on the southern end of the island.
Chapman's Fort A CSA fort on the Ashepoo River near Airy Hall.
Interior Defenses and Encampments
Camp Chehaw Colleton County, A CSA cavalry encampment on Chehaw Neck along Chehaw Road near old Ballouville.
Rantowles Area Batteries: Several CSA batteries were located on the western outskirts of Charleston: Rantowles Station Battery - at the old railroad station, south of Wallace Creek. Rantowles Battery - in the old village, north of Wallace Creek. Battery Bulow on Rantowles Creek at Bulow Landing. Stono Ferry Batteries - two works on the Stono River. Camp Evans - a CSA camp at Church Flats along the Stono River, near Stono Ferry. Warren Batteries - three works near Warren Crossroads.
Pocotaligo Earthworks Pocotaligo CSA earthworks remain that once protected a rail station here. Captured by the Union in January 1865.
CSA Camp Martin was nearby the Pocotaligo Earthworks.
Boyd's Neck Earthwork, near Coosawhatchie: CSA earthwork positions were located on Boyd's Neck between Boyd Creek and the Coosawhatchie River, southeast of town, to protect the approach from the Broad River to the Charleston and Savannah Railroad station and bridge. Attacked by Union forces in November 1864.
Grahamville Earthwork near Ridgeland: A CSA work protecting the eastern approach from Euhaw Creek to the Charleston and Savannah Railroad station at the old town of Grahamville, near Honey Hill east of town. Abandoned, but reused in November 1864 (Battle of Honey Hill) when attacked by Union troops.
Camp Despair near Savannah, GA: A CSA camp. Undetermined location along the Savannah river.
Salkehatchie Earthworks Rivers Bridge, Ehrhardt: Seven-gun CSA earthworks located at Rivers Bridge, and a 12-gun CSA fort and earthworks south at Broxton Bridge which defended the Salkehatchie River during Sherman's March.
Camden Powder Magazine, Camden: A state militia brick magazine is located on the 900 block of Market Street. Supplies were captured during Sherman's March (February 1865).
Columbia Arsenal, Columbia: A state arsenal that later became the Columbia Military Academy in 1842, and was later used by the Confederate Ordnance Department. Also known as the Palmetto Iron Works and Armory. The Officers' Quarters (1855) became the state's Governor's Mansion after the Civil War, as it was the only building left in the compound after Union troops burned the city in February 1865.
Camp Sorghum, Columbia, a Confederate POW camp for 1300 Union soldiers. Site located at Riverbanks Zoo Botanical Gardens. Replaced by Camp Asylum.
Camp Asylum, Columbia, a Confederate prison located at the former State Hospital for the Insane. A CSA training camp (1861) was once located at the site of the old state fairgrounds at Lincoln Street and Elmwood Ave.
Camp Johnson, near Gilbert: A CSA training camp for cavalry at Lightwood Knot Springs on Camp Branch Lightwood Knot Creek, southwest of town.
Florence Prison Stockade, Florence: A CSA 26-acre POW camp for about 15,000 Union soldiers transferred from Andersonville, GA. Site is adjacent to Florence National Cemetery on Stockade Road.
A special thanks to http://www.northamericanforts.com/ which extracted many of these records and made them searchable